They’re here! The Coop is still not ready, however they’ll need to be in the brooder for a few weeks, which means, in the kitchen for a few weeks. There are 25 little peepers. No losses so far. (Thank you, God.) There is one obnoxious one, that has been named Turd-Bucket or Jerk-Face or Little-Poop, that delights in tripping his fellow chicks by pecking their toes. Mr. Modern Day Pioneer (MDP) whipped out this brooder for them in a half of an hour, the day before we picked them up. Luckily Mr. MDP never throws away supplies that may have a purpose some day; even if that day is four years after acquiring such said shelves.
With the chicks growing very quickly (hourly, it seems), we are hitting the coop work hard. We’ve been dragging fallen trees and moving siding trash and hunting for posts and installing windows in the shed. There is headway. Weekends are great. There should be more weekends like these…
The progress on the coop has been moving slowly, but steady. The majority of the framing is complete with the windows in. Also, insulation and a moisture barrier has been started. Since this is our first attempt, on our own, in raising chickens we have decided to go toward the extreme and make a chicken vault/safe, rather than your run-of-the-mill coop.
From the outside you can see the general structure of what used to be a small garage. This did not seem to actually fit a car, so we gave it a true purpose that can benefit us in the long run.